8.14.2012

gentle dental

Did you know that I am terrified of going to the dentist? As in, I didn't go for three years, terrified.

Did you know that John's dad is a dentist?

Did you know that for years we didn't have dental insurance so my only option was going to my father-in-law?

Did you know that the only thing more terrifying to me than having a stranger poke and prod inside my mouth is having my father-in-law poke and prod inside my mouth?

Did you know that the majority of the arguments that John and I got into in 2009, 2010 and 2011 centered around me refusing to go to the dentist?

Marriage is hard. Battles must be chosen. My mouth lost. I went to my father-in-law. The dentist. I held back tears. I tried to do what I always do when I'm scared and feel uncomfortable - TALK. Talking while your mouth is pried open and your words aren't pronounceable makes things double awkward. And there was lots of slobber. And finally I just closed my eyes and dreamed of never opening my mouth again. 

Did you know that the only thing worse that having to go to the dentist this year would have been if someone had taken a picture of me there? That is why there are none. So, instead, here's John, the baby in all her cheeky glory and the dentist. Aka the father-in-law. Aka the grandpa. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...